The threat of exposure to a chemical warfare agent is real.
- US Department of Defense
- Joint Program Executive Office for Chemical and Biological Defense
- Other military services since 2002
RSDL REMOVES AND/OR NEUTRALIZES KNOWN CHEMICAL WARFARE AGENTS FROM THE SKIN.
- Tabun (GA)
- Sarin (GB)
- Soman (GD)
- Cyclohexyl Sarin (GF)
- VR (Soviet V-gas)
- VX (Venomous agent X)
- Mustard Gas (HD)
- T-2 Toxin
Use of soap and water may be effective in physically removing CWAs; however it does not neutralize CWAs. In addition, contaminated runoff can affect others.1,2,3 Water can increase dermal absorption of mustard agents.2
1. RSDL® (Reactive Skin Decontamination Lotion Kit). Safety Data Sheet 2017.
2. Clarke S, Chilcott R, Wilson J, Kamanyire R, Baker D, Hallett A. Decontamination of multiple casualties who are chemically contaminated: a challenge for acute hospitals. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2008;23(2):175-181.
3. Kahn C. Hospital preparation for disasters. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2008;23(2):182-183.
PLEASE BE AWARE
There are vendors on Amazon selling expired RSDL. RSDL is a Food and Drug Administration-cleared medical device with assigned expiry dating; expired RSDL represents a potentially significant medical device issue. To purchase RSDL with the appropriate remaining shelf life, it is recommended that you purchase directly from the manufacturer, Emergent BioSolutions, through the Emergent BioSolutions Amazon storefront. When you receive your RSDL package, please check the expiration date which is printed on the left-hand side of the package. Use of the RSDL Kit past the expiration date may present a potentially significant medical device issue.
IDENTIFY area of possible contamination.
OPEN packet quickly at notch.
WIPE affected area using a scrubbing action.
RINSE when conditions permit.
*Based upon laboratory tests; clinical relevance unknown.
THE THREAT IS REAL.
RSDL removes and/or neutralizes chemical warfare agents (CWAs) from the skin.
The volume of RSDL lotion within each 21 mL packet is enough to decontaminate the average equivalent of the hands, neck, face, and inside surface of a respirator, if you are wearing one.
Blue Packet – For demonstration purposes only (No active ingredients)
Green Packet – Active packet (Each packet contains active lotion, for use only when CWA exposure is suspected)